Doughnut Holes

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Ten most popular majors

I regret picking English as my major. I switched several times during my college years. I started out in nutrition, then moved on to Family and Human Development, but quickly switched to Journalism, then I made that final change to English. I ended up with a BA in English and a minor in Spanish. After college I started working as a technical writer...what a bore! My job was exactly like that movie "Office Space." And it still is. At least I am now developing websites and applications using .Net.

Anyways, an article today at MSN shows that English is the second most popular major for students! Get real kids! Why??? It's not what you think. “You'll find English majors in countless types of jobs. Many of these jobs are the communications-based careers you'd expect--author, reporter, journalist, editor, radio broadcaster, advertising, and public relations executives--but plenty of them aren't quite so obvious. English majors also become teachers, lawyers (after law school, of course), film directors, politicians, actors, you name it." Yeah right. Don't expect to find all of those jobs with that degree, not in this market.

What would I recommend? If I had to do it again, I would have picked Public Relations, Business, or Computer Science. English just won't get you anywhere. I have applied for numerous jobs branching out into different areas, but the application process doesn't get that far as soon as they realize I have a degree in English. Yes, English does touch a lot of areas, but companies want a focused study.

The top ten are: Psychology, English, Math, Business Administration and Management, Biology, Chemistry, History, Political Science, Accounting, and Sociology.

Come on, of those I can see Math, Business, Bio, Chem, and Accounting as the majors that would actually account to something. Get serious when you pick your major!

So what's next? Well, I will be started an MBA program later this year. It's my only way out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home